[mythtv-users] MythNetvision and WMV

Rick Nickle ricknickle at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 02:35:17 UTC 2010

  FYI. %SHAREDIR%, <player> and <playerargs> are not in 0.23
  %SHAREDIR% is in 0.24, not sure about the current state of <player> and
  <playerargs>. (Still all beta at this stage)

  >From the few lines above I assume you have based your grabber on my twit
  perl one and not Doug's python ones. I have some updates which I'm happy
  to give you. Won't fix the core issue which is wmv is a problem.

  Auric

Thanks Auric!  Yes, I did base my code on yours although since the TwitTV
site you were referencing was much more complicated than the HirTV site I
was looking at, I mostly dumbed it down and simplified it (no search mode
since they only retain 7 days of news anyway, etc.)  I have some other sites
in mind that are more complicated that I might apply your Twit techniques
to.  They are also flash-based so I probably won't have the problems I'm
having with WMV.  Unfortunately, most of the content I'm after at HirTV and
other Hungarian sites is WMV (it kind of looks like most of the TV stations
over there signed up the same web design shop!)

I wasn't ready to dive into Python since I'm more of a native perl speaker.

This explains a lot.  So basically, if I want to get on the cutting edge, I
have to move off a stable release and on to beta.  Will I also take source
updates from a repository in that case (git?  Svn?)?  I presume there are no
packages for the latest releases.   I have a system I can do that with, I'll
get started.

One other topic along these lines.  Some of the content I'm interested are
live video feeds, just a straight transmission of what is on a national
network.  It seems to me that I can just make that feed an item in my
MythNetvision RSS grabber (presuming the player can process it), but is
there another plugin or model for that kind of content that fits better?  It
almost would seem reasonable to virtualize a 'tuner' that can play various
web content, and then select that with 'Watch TV' (or record it.)  I guess
that would be implemented sort of like a driver.  Maybe it's feasible, maybe
someone already suggested it.

I'd be interested in your updates, thank you!

Rick