[mythtv-users] HDPVR for $169 at buy.com

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 22 20:38:49 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:33:04 pm Ajay Sharma wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> >> Would I need this to capture off a Roku?
> >
> > Does a Roku have HD component outputs or only hdmi?
>
> The Roku HD model has component outputs:
>
> http://www.roku.com/roku-products

It does, but I question calling something "HD" when it apparently can't handle 1080i.

The specs on the Roku site say it can do 480i/720p, the latter being technically "HD", but a lot of media players are
available that can do at least 1080i, and some of them do 1080p.

Does anyone know if the Roku will play a 1080i file from a UPnP server? Can it play files shared on your network? (Samba or
NFS)? Their site is a little lean on specs.

I see the basic Myka units are on clearance for $89:

http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6

I've had one for a while, and I like the fact that it can find anything on my network via NFS or Samba, as well as any UPnP
servers, and it will handle 1080i material.

This is similar to a Popcorn Hour, a so-called "Networked Media Tank".

I originally bought it to see if I could get a Myth frontend to run on it, but that project is on the shelf for now.