[mythtv-users] Testing UTF-8

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 21 19:33:21 UTC 2010

On 06/21/2010 03:15 PM, Stephen Bridges wrote:
>> It's pretty academic though unfortunately as I'm not going to try an
>> upgrade as at the moment I can't undo it if it goes wrong now.  I don't
>> quite understand how a table that doesn't allow duplicates can have
>> duplicates in it?
>>
> Given the lack of any other ideas, I've upgraded to 0.23 but not let Gentoo
> keep old libraries back as part of its preserved-rebuild, and lo and behold it
> works.
>
> Still have multiple entries in it.  I notice that whenever text appears
> anywhere in the application that's supposed to have an accent on it, or other
> extended character, it isn't visible.  It never has been.  Is this correct?
>
> I also can't see which of the duplicates are correct as mysql set to latin1
> can't differ between them.
>
> Does setting the locale affect either the front or backend?

If you're currently on 0.22-fixes or higher, you shouldn't have any
problems related to character encoding.

If you're saying you reverted back to 0.21-fixes after a failed
0.22-fixes upgrade, you may.

Note, also, that you can /not/ use a partial restore to "merge" data
from multiple databases into a single database.  There is no supported
procedure for merging the data.  Instead, you would need to use
MythArchive to do "native" exports of the recordings you want to keep
from one system (the one with fewer recordings) and then import them
back into MythTV.

If that doesn't answer your question, there are so many possible bad
things that could have happened to your DB that the only way (and the
easiest way) to tell you what's wrong and how to fix it is for you to
send me (directly--off list) a link to the database backup.  I may not
be able to get time to analyze it for a day or 2, but I will take a look.

Mike