[mythtv-users] Broken recordedseek table - what next?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 21 16:35:31 UTC 2010

On 06/21/2010 12:01 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 21/06/2010 2:28 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
>> This seems to resolve in google to hard drive errors, so I booted to a
>> ubuntu desktop cd and ran fsck /dev/sda2 but it declares that all is
>> well.
>>
>> sda is an older 20G IDE hard drive that i used to attempt to put the
>> OS and database on a separate spindle. Maybe it is dying and the
>> stress of the database rebuild causes a developing error to manifest
>> itself?
>
> Yes. What it's saying is that there is (at least one) bad sector on
> /dev/sda, and the drive has no more "reserved" sectors to swap it
> into. My advice would be to replace that hard drive with something,
> anything else just as fast as you can - it's about to go nuclear.

If you'd like to get a good current backup (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore ) of your
database, you should be able to do a:

TRUNCATE TABLE recordedseek;

and then back up the DB.  If that doesn't work (i.e. if the bad sector
is in a recordedseek binary data file header location or whatever), you
may need to drop the table (which will mean much more work for you later)

If you drop the table, the only supported way of restoring the data into
a new DB is using the partial restore approach (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
).  If you simply truncate the table, you can do a full restore (much
preferred approach) and then just run mythcommflag --rebuild on all your
recordings to create new seek tables.

Mike