[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Sat Jun 19 21:29:54 UTC 2010

On 19/06/2010 21:39, Douglas Peale wrote:
> On 06/19/2010 12:50 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> Pulse audio makes perfect sense when you run Linux Terminal Server. All
>> apps are running on the server, including audio. Pulse is required to
>> get the sound from the server to the actual output device on the thin
>> client.
>
> But does it serve any useful purpose for a single user desktop computer? If not, I'm more willing to remove it.

I believe its benefit when used on a single user computer is so that
multiple programs can output sound easily at the same time without
blocking (e.g. your listening to music with XMMS etc, but you still get
beep, alerts and other intermittent sounds from other applications).

Hence the reason distros like to include it.

For Myth I don't know of any reason why you would want to use pulse as
you'd usually be running MythTV as the main application rather than
alongside other applications, and I haven't heard of any benefits in
this scenario.