[mythtv-users] Does the weather part of mythtv work?

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 20:54:25 UTC 2010

> Maybe you have missing dependencies for the MythWeather scripts? Could also
> be permission problems (the scripts need to be accessible and they must be
> able to write somewhere some sort of cacche file with the results they
> got.)...

This is quite likely, even for those who use trunk.  However, in
trunk, as of last night, the ./configure for the plugins will refuse
to build mythweather if the dependent modules are missing.  I'm not
sure that I put in ALL of them, however.   I also tweaked one of the
scripts as it was broken, and included a patch that had been in trac
for a while to fix the use of Date::Manip which seems to no longer
like how it was being used.

I expect to get more work done on mythweather in trunk soon.  Once
it's been successfully tweaked, I plan on backporting the majority of
it to 0.23-fixes as mythweather is kinda busted as it sits (in
particular the NDFD scripts).

In the mean time, to find which perl modules may be missing, try
running each of the .pl scrapers by hand.  Change directory to where
they are, and run each by doing ./blah.pl -t (of course using the real
script name).   Perl will barf with missing modules, telling you what
you need to install.  Keep doing it (for each script) until there are
no more missing modules.  Once the script gives a list of items, one
per line, it's good, move on to the next one.

IF you are using ubuntu, here are the debs that I had to install last
night doing this, and the ones that the new ./configure for the
plugins expects to find:

libdate-manip-perl  ->  Date::Manip
libxml-simple-perl  ->  XML::Simple
libimage-size-perl  ->  Image::Size
libdatetime-format-iso8601-perl  ->  DateTime::Format::ISO8601
libsoap-lite-perl  ->  SOAP::Lite

All the rest were already installed, or got installed as dependencies
of the above.