[mythtv-users] Manual, or less frequent, EIT crawl?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 02:31:50 UTC 2010

> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5754

Whoa! Wish I'd known about this before I spent 2 hours this evening
coding my own patch. :-P Ah well, it looks like the above patch had
some issues, so perhaps this is for the best anyway. I was gratified
to see that power consumption was reduced considerably, though.

I'll keep playing with my patched eitscanner.cpp. I've done coding but
never before in C++, so that could be a good thing (KISS) or a bad
thing. Since it sounds like there may be others interested, I'll
probably publish my patch here, if that is appropriate (and I can
manage to make it stable for a few days of course!).

> But if all he wants is a glorified
> VCR with a list of what plays in the next 8 hours or so, I suppose using EIT
> in the US will work.

Indeed this is exactly what I want. Before the FCC mandated digital
and I started using EIT because it was there, my analog Myth
recordings were all completely Manual. Before that, I really did use a
VCR. :)

Just to clarify, even with only 8 hours of EIT, Myth still records my
weekly shows -- they just don't show up in Upcoming Recordings etc
until a few hours beforehand. So I'm not missing any of my shows, I
just have to schedule them a few hours before air time (or more
frequently, from past EPG data by scrolling left a ways in the grid)
and I never have to touch it again.