[mythtv-users] How can I get VNC to start on a machine reboot?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 18 20:14:58 UTC 2010

On Friday, June 18, 2010 02:08:19 pm Phill Edwards wrote:

> >> Really? I've been using VNC for years to do things like set recordings
> >> etc from a remote PC, but I have never been able to watch any
> >> recordings over VNC. All I get is a blue screen (not the Microsoft
> >> kind as this one's blank!). What do I need to do to get video
> >> displayed over VNC?
> >
> > What version of 'nix are you using?
>
> Distro = Fedora 12
> Kernel = 2.6.32.12-115.fc12.i686
> Xorg = xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.7.6-4.fc12.i686
> x11vnc = x11vnc-0.9.8-14.fc12.i686

I think you can expect framebuffer level performance from any VNC type network protocol (RDP or the like). This means no
acceleration of any sort is available.

I suspect there is little or no chance of getting watchable full-motion video over such a link, you're talking about
uncompressed video here, Gigabit ethernet might technically have the capacity, but I'm unaware of any way to use it in
this way.

But I would LOVE to be proved wrong. The possibilities are endless.