[mythtv-users] Need help with mce usb remote control

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jun 18 20:05:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My RC6 remote has a full QUERTY keyboard (it uses the MCE receiver)
>>
>> Hm... Tell me more about this remote... Got pics? Pointer to where I
>> might be able to score one?
>
> ebay.co.uk:
> It you are lucky you can usually get one for <£10 inc P&P
> There is actually a buy it now for £10+£3 (3 of) listed now 290411952063
> 370397204019 or 370397204019 if the buy it now's have gone
> Also searching for sky navigator usually does the trick
> Obviously use ebay at your own risk etc.

Hrm, would also have to get it shipped to the US.

> it is a great little device - they are getting more difficult to get
> hold of at a reasonable price.

I'm assuming this is it here:

http://www.findremotes.com/remote-controls-1/remote-controls-navigator-control-44133.htm

And this is the lircd.conf for it:

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/sky/Navigator

> I am positive it is RC6 as my lircd.conf has an RC6 flag in it.

RC6, sure, but not the MCE-specific variant of RC6, I'm guessing.
There are multiple RC6 variants out there. :)

> It is not the easiest of remote to type on but it serves the purpose
> of the occasional typing you may need to do - e.g. rename a programme
> title.
>
> Still can't say I understand how I would set it up with the new
> implementation but if I can help in anyway to try to get it working
> before release please reply with details.

This likely won't work right out of the box w/the new driver via the
input layer, but *can* be made to work with it. It would probably
require no more than converting the lircd.conf you're using into an
in-kernel keytable (which can actually be uploaded into the kernel
using ir-keytable, which is in the latest v4l-utils).