[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 05:34:25 UTC 2010

On 06/17/2010 10:08 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 18 June 2010 14:52, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> went into settings changed from 5.1 Alsa:default to 7.1 PulseAudio:default
>
> The default of Pulse is stereo only.
>
> And 5.1 Alsa:default is unlikely going to work either.. It's generally
> a stereo interface only, and while you can select 5.1, it will treat
> it as stereo
>
> for 5.1, you need to select either an explicit analog device, like
> ALSA:analog51 , or a digital interface ALSA:iec957 or ALSA:hdmi etc..
>
> what device your system supports will be listed.
>
> It would help if you went back to your previous settings.
> ALSA:default, Stereo
> and run mythfrontend with -v audio and report, preferably in a ticket
> if you believe it's a bug
>

>> Now entering liveTV locks up mythTV. It happens to be tuned to an HD channel, but of course I can't change the channel since it
>> locks up.
>
> Sometimes when trying to configure pulse in a way that it doesn't
> like... It locks up for a while before it times out.
>

>> The backend is recording something right now and it is a combined frontend/backend system, so I don't want to try too much right
>> now.
>
> Can always just kill the mythfrontend process

In .23, I was using Alsa:default 5.1 with digital pass through enabled for Dolby digital and AC3. This was working with the
exception of always having to toggle the mute button in the mixer app off then on nearly every time I started the myth front end.

I tried setting it back to alsa:default, but alsa:default is no longer listed as one of the options. I manually typed in
alsa:default.
Oh, this is strange, it is now working. My receiver reports Dolby Digital.
Tried changing to 7.1, got silence. switched back to 5.1 and still have silence. Brought up the mixer app, toggled the mute
button off & on and got sound back.

I guess I'm back where I was with flaky sound.

I'm going to hold off on the ticket for a bit to see if I can pin down the flakiness a bit.