[mythtv-users] Need help with mce usb remote control

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 17 22:06:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Both. Its a new driver written for the new ir-core infrastructure
>> we've been working on upstream. Default out of the box experience is
>> that the bundled RC6 remotes Just Work via the linux input layer --
>> i.e., they work without any lirc configuration work as well as without
>> even having lirc installed (we use an in-kernel RC6 IR decoder, then
>> pass along decoded key values via the input layer).
>
> My RC6 remote has a full QUERTY keyboard (it uses the MCE receiver)

Hm... Tell me more about this remote... Got pics? Pointer to where I
might be able to score one?

> if
> no setup is required how does the MCE driver know what button is being
> pressed on the remote as every RC6 remote will be different?

Every RC6 MCE remote I've seen to date uses the exact same RC6 6A
variant. I have about seven different remotes in hand right now, and
all of them work perfectly. The in-kernel keytable can easily be
extended as needed though.

I have the MCE IR keyboard in-house now too, but haven't yet got
support for it going. It uses either RC-MM or a custom RC-5, which we
haven't got an in-kernel decoder for just yet.

> Will we still be able to bind a remote key to (for example) a script
> file without the need of LIRC?

If your desktop environment supports mapping event keys to scripts,
then yes. Its certainly doable in Gnome. And if your desktop doesn't
give you what you need, you can still go the lirc route.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com