[mythtv-users] OT: dead motherboard or video card?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 16 19:26:33 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:26:21 pm Greg Woods wrote:

> > Plugging your monitor into the mobo's video connector and removing the
> > video card is probably a good way to at least get a start on the
> > problem.
>
> I did this. The onboard chip has the exact same symptoms: works fine in
> console mode, but Xorg.0.log says "no device found".

Odd that both graphics devices would be bad in the same way, I'd then suspect something that is common to both.

> As it happens, I have a PCI sound card as well. Alsamixer doesn't find
> it, so I would suspect the entire PCI bus is not working properly and a
> mobo replacement is going to be required. Crap.

The bus may be bad, or something on the bus may be loading it down or otherwise causing it to malfunction.

Might even be the sound card. Remove anything you can, but soldered-in things on the bus are pretty much there to stay.