[mythtv-users] New mac mini The frontend for mythTV?

James Walker jameswalker at clear.net.nz
Wed Jun 16 19:20:52 UTC 2010

On 16/06/2010, at 10:53 PM, Christopher Kerr wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 16 June 2010 14:48, James Walker <jameswalker at clear.net.nz> wrote:
>>> Agreed, wireless not a good move for a frontend, especially if you want to
>>> pump HD content through it.
>>
>> I've had no issues streaming HD content over 802.11N
>
> Trouble with wireless is the way the bandwidth is shared - having
> another family member jump on their laptop and stuff up your TV
> viewing is annoying.
>
> 802.11N is probably better in that regard, though, having more
> bandwidth to start with. I have an N capable switch, but no N capable
> clients, so I haven't tested it.

The wireless debate is an interesting one. But given the theoretical bandwidth of 802.11n, the actual bandwidth that people I know actually achieve in the house, then add in the wireless network being used by others as well as streamed content, well success seems to be mixed.  But hey, if you have it working in your situation then great.  :-)