[mythtv-users] OT: dead motherboard or video card?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:39:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> As it happens, I have a PCI sound card as well. Alsamixer doesn't find
> it, so I would suspect the entire PCI bus is not working properly and a
> mobo replacement is going to be required. Crap.

Its really not a big deal to replace a mobo aside from the expense.
Assuming the mobo you had is fairly modern, and the presence of a
PCI-E slot seems to indicate it is, you won't have to replace the
components.  You should be able to find a mobo that takes DDR2 or DDR3
depending on your current memory situation; obviously can find one
that takes your current video card; hard drives and optical drives
should not be a problem even if they are PATA; and most mobos should
have PCI for your sound card (or more likely, it will include onboard
sound).  The only trick is making sure that your CPU is compatible
with whatever you have.

Installing the new mobo is easy.  Just unscrew the old one and put the
new one in.  The whole project should take you no more then 2 hours to
complete and most likely you will not need to upgrade much, if
anything, driver side.