[mythtv-users] how to troubleshoot network congestion problems with mythtv [solved]

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 16 15:40:31 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 09:24:50 am Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Quite true, and made worse by the fact that to most consumers it appears
> > that there are 10 or more channels available,
> > when they actually overlap, causing there to be just 3 actually
> > individual channels, but since people don't know that,
>
> they may well pick a channel they *think* is apart from their neighbors,
>
> > when in fact it is not.
>
> I forgot about that. I really wish they hadn't done that with the channel
> numbering. That alone likely causes more problems than it would possibly
> solve. Now people that are literate enough to understand they need to avoid
> channels in use are trying to do the right thing, not realizing they are
> causing problems.

I still don't understand why that idiotic channel numbering came to be.

> WiFi should only be used for portable roaming machines, not permanent or
>
> > semi-permanent installations, but again you can't
> > expect the people selling such gear to tell people that. I plug my laptop
> > in to my router when I'm home, using WiFi only
> > when traveling or at public hotspots.
>
> I don't go quite that far, but at home I have little RFI so WiFi works OK
> for 90% of what I need it to do from a laptop. If I want to move large
> amounts of data around between machines locally, I do plug it in though. It
> helps that I had access to the house while it was being built, so I just
> put a ton of copper in the walls. I would have included fiber if it wasn't
> so expensive at the time.  Obviously, many people didn't have the ability
> to get cables in the walls durring construction. But there are a lot of
> ways to run cable in a hidden way, though they tend to be more expensive
> and time consuming. And if you rent, not much you can do unless the
> landlord is OK with it. But you can generally run cat5 along baseboards
> without it being ugly.

Around here some people have learned that if a landlord can advertise "wired for ethernet" or something like that, it
makes the property more desirable, though I'm not sure if that translates into higher rents.

At some large NYC apartment buildings pre-wiring for data is considered a big plus.

> It would be nice if there were a good solution for
> those people, but sadly, there really isn't. I don't care what the maker
> of wireless devices says, they can't touch the performance of copper. It
> doesn't help that they advertise the link speed and say nothing about real
> thoughput, which is generally about 50% link speed. Far worse if you have
> more than one client on that AP, which many people don't run into unless
> they start messing with stuff like Myth. :)

The claimed data rates are impossible to achieve, even in a lab. I don't know how they get away with that, it certainly
seems much more egregious than using industry-standard numbers for hard drive capacity.

It took me only seconds to find this statement about a product:

"Through your home WiFi connection, you can enjoy the entire shared digital media library of your home PC in your living
room, not just in your office".

If your "shared digital media" includes HD video, this is a misleading statement at the least, and just about every
product says something similar.