[mythtv-users] RAID 6 benchmarks

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 10:24:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> I recently rebuilt the mdadm software RAID 6 array that forms the bulk
> of my MythTV recording space, and would like to report on my
> experiences benchmarking it.

Thanks for the write-up.  Were the underlying partitions aligned or did they
started at sector 63 like default?  Also, did you consider re-doing the
benchmark with ext4?  CentOS 5.5 includes ext4 (Red Hat Tech Preview) and I
wonder how it fares compared to JFS.

I recently set up a 6-disk RAID-6 on my new i5-750 backend.  I've not
benchmarked it, but I did use GPT partition tables on each disk with the
first partition starting at 2MB using gdisk (fdisk for GPT special utility).

/Brian/