[mythtv-users] how to troubleshoot network congestion problems with mythtv

Tim Coote tim+mythtv.org at coote.org
Tue Jun 15 22:03:32 UTC 2010

Hullo
I seem to have quite a nasty variation in the latency of my home
network (ethernet over power, using upa, Comtrend kit). I've got a
simple set up with two computers. However, the ping times have a std
dev of approx. 2x the mean ping time. With no traffic the ping time is
~4ms, with peaks of 100ms+ every few seconds or so, when streaming
live or recorded tv, ping times go up to >20ms (I've not yet measured
the variation).

I cannot think how to troubleshoot the network, short of replacing the
components, or maybe directly connecting the back/front end machines
to ensure that the issue isn't the ip stacks on the computers. Is
there any simple way to put in/increase the stream buffering that
mythtv uses? I'm using 0.23 on fedora 12.

It would also give me some comfort to hear that my ping time variation
is either common or rare, so that I can establish whether it's even
worth trying to troubleshoot the network.

fwiw, the impact of the variation/congestion is stuttering on HD tv
(live or recorded). cpu is very low (~20% of one cpu on frontend in
top): I'm using vdpau. I think that as the issue arises for both
recorded and live streams, then it shouldn't be disk related and the
large variation in ping times between an empty and a used network
indicates that it's a network issue.

tia

Tim