[mythtv-users] Help needed for MultiRec

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 15:02:05 UTC 2010

On 15 June 2010 14:03, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 15 June 2010 13:45, Alan Ferrero <alanf at tin.it> wrote:

>> Also, in the "Information Center" (frontend), there are correctly listed
>> 6 available tuners (3 satellite, 3 terrestrial) but they are numbered
>> from 15 to 20; shouldn't it be 1-6?

> You've added and deleted tuners...they stay in the sql database to
> avoid conflict.

Deleted tuners are not kept in the database. The numbering of cards
uses an autoincrementing value which is only reset when the relevant
table(s) is truncated (see below).

> If you want to 'clean' the database you'll have to delete the existing
> tuners, shut down mythtv-setup, shut down the mythbackend service,
> restart the mysql database, restart mythbackend, re run mythtv-setup
> and re-install the tuners.

Not true.

If you want to remove traces of all configured capture cards in the
database, run mythtv-setup (without mythbackend running) and choose
the "Delete All Capture Cards" option on the capture cards screen.
This truncates the relevant capture card tables and resets numbering.

This procedure also applies to video source configuration - choose the
"Delete All" option and all relevant source/channel numbering is
reset.

Additionally:

i) there is no requirement to restart mythtv-setup after deleting
capture cards and before reconfiguring
ii) you should never run mythtv-setup whilst mythbackend is running
(this is unsupported), and
iii) you should never ever have to restart the MySQL server.

> Even using the above procedure it's sometimes not cleared them
> properly and I've resorted to manually going into the database and
> removing the tuner settings, while mythbackend was stopped of course.

The "Delete All" options will truncate tables. Deleting individual
tuners does not, and see subsequent card numbering continues to
increase.

> I'd suggest doing this as keeping the tuners in a sensible order makes
> life easier later.  Also it's pretty unlikely you'll need more then 2
> multi rec tuners on a satellite feed because of the way the satellite
> mux's are set up.

>2 tuners for DVB-S can be useful if you regularly record from, say, BBC channels. The 10773H mux has BBC1-4 available, and the 12441V mux has several of the BBCi streams. So, although generally less useful for DVB-S than DVB-T, multirec is still useful (esp as DVB-S cards are more expensive than their DVB-T counterparts).

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott