[mythtv-users] Remote Secondary Backend

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Jun 15 10:13:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Toby Mills <Toby.Mills at vmsl.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> My Myth setup is spread across two locations.
>> I have a primary backend with 4 clients connected to it at my house.
>>
>> I have a friend with a secondary backend approx 1km away connected via a
>> WiFi link. We have a stable 24Mbps link which supports watching TV no
>> problems at all. We also use the link for a shared internet connection and
>> telephone calls. We both have large video and music collections that we
>> share.
>>
> You *do* realise that this set-up almost certainly breaks Terms-of-Service,
> and probably a fair number of laws besides?

Probably doesn't break any laws unless they're abusing a HAM band to
get that long distance link. As for the terms of service, well, that's
all good and well, until you find yourself in a situation like the one
I had until recently, where the ADSL service stopped literally next
door, with no other options for broadband internet access because the
3G reception was lousy and the IDSN service had been scrapped. In that
case, would you:

a) Live with dial up OR
b) Split the cost of ADSL with your neighbour, terms of service be damned?

(Eventually we got the line moved onto an ADSL supporting CMUX, but it
took years to get access to a free port)

Since the OP is in New Zealand, it wouldn't surprise me if his friend
is in the same situation.

- Chris