[mythtv-users] Freeview Allowed To Use DRM To Curtail Online Piracy

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 15 07:28:39 UTC 2010

On 15 June 2010 08:00, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 15/06/10 07:41, Simon Waldman wrote:
>> To the best of my knowledge there's nothing illegal about
>> circumventing DRM in the UK anyway. A few months ago I'd have said
>> "although it's only a matter of time", but if this new government
>> refrains from letting industry write its laws like the last one....
>> well, time will tell.
>>
> Hmm, the Tories less likely to side with big business.....
>
> Let's see, which Universe do I think that'll happen in?
>
> No, we'll probably see the the exact opposite with stronger and stronger
> enforcement of DRM and the likes.
>
> Gordon

Not wishing for this to degenerate into a political debate but what
Labour did at the end of the last parliament couldn't exactly be
described as against Big Business.

The lobbying power of the vested interests in the media world are
pretty appalling IMHO. The patent hypocrisy of a group like News
International who on the one hand argue about copyright protection
while at the same time ignoring European Legislation that requires
them to produce a CAM for the NDS encryption system to be used in
other boxes so they can't dominate the market would be funny if it
wasn't so serious.

If Cricket is really allowed on Freeview with News International
controlling the platform we might as well all pack up and live in wood
huts in the forests.

Rant mode off.......

I'm not worried about encryption of the listings info, I am worried
about whether this is the thin end of the wedge.