[mythtv-users] [OT] Running a VNC server on :1 on Mythbuntu

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:14:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM, jansenj <jansenj+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is slightly off topic, but I would like to start up a VNC server
>> on :1 on my mythbuntu box.  I've installed vnc4server and edited
>> ~/.vnc/xstartup so that it runs xinitrc, but when I do that, I get a
>> 2nd instance of mythfrontend running on my :1 server.
>>

> This is all I use for my ~/.vnc/xstartup:
> #!/bin/sh
> xsetroot -solid black
> export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mythbuntu
> export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mythbuntu
> exec startxfce4
>
> does that do what you're looking for?  Then you just have to get your
> vncserver to run at boot time, or whenever you ssh in and execute
> vncserver(which is what I do).
That might do what I wanted... I just ssh'd in and poked around and it
seems like the directory structure is different on my Mythbuntu 9.10
box than what you describe above (/etc/xdg/mythbuntu instead of
/etc/xdg/xdg-mythbuntu).  I don't want to try it right now while I'm
remote and my family might be trying to watch something locally.

I'm curious though... what will setting the XDG_* environment
variables do for me?  How will they prevent a 2nd copy of mythfrontend
from starting up?

In the mean time, I created a second login for myself, and simply
start up a vncserver there.  (If I had thought things through when I
first set up the box, I would have created a dedicated mythfrontend
user.)

Thanks for the tip.  I'll see where it takes me.

--wpd