[mythtv-users] Judder free playback with mythtv

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Jun 14 12:46:36 UTC 2010

Jean-Yves Avenard [jyavenard at gmail.com] wrote:
> Remember that as with most code, it was implemented first and foremost
> for my own use.

:)

> I let my PC do all the scaling as required.. I see no technically
> valid advantage to have the TV do the scaling over the PC when it
> comes to quality of scaling.

At least on my TV (3 year old 1080p LCD, quite expensive at the time),
the TV's scaler is far better than my ion's scaler.  The TV presents a
24p mode, but it is a 60Hz panel, and I see no benefit from the 24p mode.

> So whatever my PC output is at the native resolution of the TV.
>
> For TV using a non standard resolution, like 1366x768, what Ive often
> seen is that at the native res, it only accepts 60Hz, so for those
> feeding 1080i or 720p make sense as IMO, you're better of matching the
> refresh rate than matching the resolution : for more noticeable.
>
> I may look shortly at enabling the tv resolution matching. Someone
> posted some useful info a few days ago on the matter.

I think that might have been me
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/439524#439524)

If you're going to change it, why not take a rototiller to it and
clean house?  What is the point of the keys stored in
DisplayRes::Initialize()?  Wouldn't it be simpler/cleaner to just take
the resolution / rate of the video at "play" time, and iterate over
all the modes currently available, until the closest is found, based
on user prefs?

I could imagine an interface which gave the user these choices:

1) enable video mode switching  (0/1)	   (default=1)
2) prefer refresh rate to resulution (0/1) (default=1)
3) advanced (hidden, expands to)
available modes (based on video modes obtained from X)
   1920x1080 at 60		 (0/1)   (default=1)
   1920x1080 at 59.94	 (0/1)   (default=1)
   1920x1080 at 24	 	 (0/1)   (default=1)
   1920x1080 at 23.94	 (0/1)   (default=1)
   1280x720 at 60	 	 (0/1)   (default=1)
   1280x720 at 59.94	 (0/1)   (default=1)
   720x480 at 60		 (0/1)   (default=1)
   <....>

Using #3, one could blacklist modes that don't work, or don't look
good and remove them from consideration.

Drew