[mythtv-users] Number of Cores v. Clock

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 02:14:59 UTC 2010

> i am working on an unexpected refresh of my myth backend/frontend and
> i have been staring at Newegg for several hour without enlightenment.
> The question is, do I go for more cores (6) with a lower clock or
> fewer cores at a higher clock?  The AMD six-core is here
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103851  there
> are several AMD and Intel quad-cores with higher clocks.  This system
> will be used exclusively for MythTV, so i am really focused on the
> impact of clocks v. cores on MythTV.  Thanks.

Intel i7 chips perform more per clock than Phenom 2s so you can not
just compare frequency. With that said the 8 threaded i7 920 2.66GHz
is about as powerful as the 6 core 2.8 GHz X6 1055T in both single
threaded applications and highly threaded applications when the AMD
chip has its Turbo Boost feature on.

As for mythtv, I would say that most operations will not use that many cores.

John