[mythtv-users] Mythbackend started as process looks for database at wrong location(Solved)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jun 13 22:01:29 UTC 2010

On 06/13/2010 01:32 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 13 June 2010 18:20, John Nissley wrote:
>
>> I have a mythtv setup with two fe/be and two other fe only boxes.
>>
>> I have a need to move the master backend from one backend server to the
>> other but am having some problems doing so.
>>
>> snip --------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Noting like writing to the user list to make you find the problem.  It
>> appears that the log file does not fully tell the truth.  I found a
>> mysql.txt file in the / directory and that one had the incorrect IP address
>> for the database.  I correct that and now it starts fine. I guess log files
>> can not always fully be trusted.
>>
> The issue you are having is typically due to $HOME not being set when
> mythbackend is started during the init process. This can also lead to
> the MythTV config files being placed in /.mythtv/, rather than in
> /$USER/.mythtv/. When you have a shell and start mythbackend as a
> regular process, $HOME is defined and MythTV will look in
> /$USER/.mythtv/ as expected.
>
> If the log output is not showing the correct location of the config
> file, this needs to be fixed. When I looked in to this some years ago
> I patched the Fedora backend init script distributed with the MythTV
> source (based on that provided with the atrpms.net binaries) to ensure
> $HOME was configured. Perhaps things have changed since?

Note, also, that if you updated to current 0.23-fixes, the log message
would not have lied and would have told you that you had no HOME
specified in your environment.

I.e. you can no longer start MythTV applications when you have an
invalid HOME (this is the way it's been since 0.21-fixes or so, but the
check got broken with some changes and I only fixed it after 0.23 was
released).

Mike