[mythtv-users] When HD is no longer "premium content"

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Jun 11 19:26:22 UTC 2010

I remember reading a long article about Windows Vista and all it's controls to somehow prevent
illegal copying of "premium content". (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)

I bring this up because on of the questions raised to me by reading this (and I think the author mentions it) is that
once everyone has HD (as an example), how premium is it?

Why should we pay for cable in HD when HD OTA is free, the only thing we're getting is the pay channels.

So I mention this here because one of the satellite TV networks is now transmitting HD for free.

I think this will have interesting implications in other areas of the industry down the road if competition continues.

And THAT's what I wanted to point out to this group.

  -Ben