[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Box Specs

Brendan Fosberry brendan.fosberry at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:51:03 UTC 2010

Hello all

Just trying to get some advice on my mythbuntu box specs. I jsut upgraded to
a HD-PVR and the only resolutions I can grab well (watching live tv, haven't
tried recording yet) are 480i and 480p. At 720p is stutters every second
about 8 times and then is fine for about 2 mins before doing it again. At
1080i it distorts the picture every 2 seconds. I figure my box is under spec
for handling this data but I wanted advice on WHAT to upgrade to meet spec
for this type of processing. Here are my current specs:

Asus M2N68-VM  with onboard graphics
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131355
4GB DDR2 800
AMd Athlon 64x2 2.6Ghz.
1GB sata2  HD.

I'm considering either upgrading the CPU to maybe a Phenom II 940 and/or
getting a basic nvidia graphics card with hdmi output and hardware encoding
handle the load but I'm not sure what would have the most effect.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Brendan