[mythtv-users] Android tablet - advanced remote control and/or frontend?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jun 10 23:28:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:15:15AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday, June 10, 2010 06:57:03 am Richard Morton wrote:
> >> http://phandroid.com/2010/06/09/notion-ink-adam-pops-back-in-still-on-track
> >> -for-q3-releas/
> >
> > Interesting, but it looks like overkill for a remote and underkill for a frontend.
> >
> > To be a practical frontend it would need hardware decoding for common video formats, including h264. None of the tablets
> > I've seen (including the iPad) have anywhere near the power to do software decoding. Some tegra chips have this
> > capability, but I'm not sure which of them this unit is using.
> >
> > I think we'll see many ARM-based tablets in the coming months, they seem to be the next "Netbooks".
>
> The web page claims "Full High Definition Multimedia"
> (http://www.notionink.in/adamoverview.php).

     That doesn't mean anything. It's like "all natural".

     You gotta see what the detailed claims are. Things like bitrate,
resolution and profiles.

     My (android) Archos 5 does great with all of the SD stuff and doesn't
even need any transcoding (like the older archoses). However, it doesn't
quite have the juice for HD-PVR recordings and explicitly doesn't support
1080i ATSC recordings. The device advertises being able to do 720sp. I
suspect it's 720p support is limited to stuff like Quicktime trailers and
other content that's "created gently" with mobile devices in mind.

     Although the hardware will probably catch up.