[mythtv-users] Capture card / Myth Upgrade Question

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 08:27:52 UTC 2010

On 8 June 2010 17:20, Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org> wrote:

> It seemed to go fairly well although it was looking for the capture cards in
> the original master b/e. As a test I deleted all the capture cards from the
> new one and set up just the spare in there. It's a DVB-500 and I didn't
> bother connecting an antenna or getting it to scan for channels or download
> the EPG.
>
> I noticed that while the recordings appeared to be there the scheduled
> recording listings were empty. Will those come back when I move the original
> capture cards over and let them download the EPG off-air?

After you copied the database to the new machine and deleted the
capture card(s) that were assigned to the old backend, did you also
remove the existing video source(s)?

Channel settings and programme listings are stored as part of each
configured video source. Additionally, EIT programme listings (those
you get over the air from Freeview or Freesat in the UK) only provide
about 8 days of listings. So, if either 8 days have elapsed since
taking the database backup on the old backend, or you have deleted the
configured video source(s) on the new backend, you will not have any
current listings available, and the scheduler will be unable to
schedule anything until you receive new listings.

If the DVB-T video source from the old backend is still defined on the
new machine, you just need to reconnect the capture card input(s) to
this video source (on the Input Connections pages of mythtv-setup).
Additionally, as long as you are still pointing your antenna at the
same transmitter, you do not need to rescan your channels - to get new
listings, you just need to reconnect the antenna to the DVB-T card in
the new machine and start mythbackend.

However, as you are using an old MythTV release, I would recommend a
full scan in order to pick up new channels and DVB settings that will
enable your MythTV 0.23 system to take full advantage of the
EITimprovements added to MythTV since 0.20 was released.

Capture cards are host-aware, so if you do move cards between
machines, you will need to reconfigure them as you have discovered.
Video sources are not host-aware - they are defined globally for the
entire MythTV system. This means that if at some later point in time
you decide to add a DVB-Tcard to a slave backend, you only have to
configure the capture card whilst reusing the already-defined DVB-T
video source.

Cheers,
Nick

--