[mythtv-users] Prevent Recordings of "Live TV" from Splitting, Etc

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 8 12:07:56 UTC 2010

On 06/08/2010 07:45 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM, tosds9 wrote:
>
>> Watch TV is automatically splitting these recordings on the 00 and 30 of
>> every hour (like it thinks that I'm recording multiple 30 minute blocks of
>> live TV). If I can prevent the previously-recorded content from splitting
>> into multiple files during transfer, MythTV will work perfectly for my
>> needs! As stated in an earlier post, the OS and hard drive on my computer
>> are both capable of handling individual files of enormous size. Furthermore,
>> I don't intend to copy the transferred content to DVD. Indeed, I'm trying to
>> avoid having to buy a DVD recorder for my home theater!
>>
>> Besides MythTV, what other software for Linux is capable of doing what I
>> want?
>>
> MythTV is still not the proper tool for what you are doing.  But I
> guess you are determined to make it work.  Why don't you just join the
> 30 minute files together?  http://www.ffmpeg.org/faq.html#SEC29

I think the OP now knows how to record using MythTV without getting
broken-up files, and he's actually looking for recommendations for a
better program for recording.  I don't know other programs to recommend
(but I agree MythTV is not the right app for the job), but just in case
he's still looking for information on the splitting of LiveTV recordings:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232857#232857
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/284890#284890
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/378410#378410

Mike