[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jun 7 05:57:35 UTC 2010

| From: Matthew <twistedmatt107 at yahoo.com>

My HVR-1600 analogue recordings work, except for subtle problems that
I've posted here.

I wonder why my system works and yours does not.

| My System:
|
| Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Version 1.1 Using the integrated
| graphics with ATI proprietary drivers. The integrated graphics is a
| Radeon HD 4200.

I use an ECS BLACK SERIES GF8200A (V1.0) AM2+/AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 8200
HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.  I don't watch anything on it except to
experiment -- it's a backend.

| Tuner Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600

I've got two in the system.

| Ram: 2GB A-DATA AD2U800B1G5-DRH

I've got 2G of RAM too.

| Processor: 2.9GHz Athlon II X3 ADX435WFGIBOX

AMD Athlon II X2 240

| Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) with MythTV .21

Built with Ubuntu 9.04, upgraded to 9.10, then upgraded to 10.04.  At
each upgrade, the Mythbuntu version of MythTV was upgraded.  Mostly
correctly, I think.  I have fiddled with recording profiles.

Every time the kernel gets updated, I grab the drivers from the hg
repository, rebuild the modules, and install them.  Then I reboot: no
messing with module commands for me.

I don't use the remote.  I don't use the digital tuner (I use cable
and in our lousy regultory regime (Canada), the cable companies
encrypt all digital signals).

My system seems to think that it is a Mythbuntu system (I think that
it is Ubuntu with MythTV packages from Mythbuntu).  The desktop is a
Mythbuntu thing.  Perhaps they have tamed ALSA (or Pulse Audio) in
some manner.

Are you sure that, when you build the driver, all your make commands
complete correctly?

I build the driver in a way slightly different from the procedure in
the wiki.  I always start with a fresh copy of the tree fetched from
the repository.  I don't do any of the pre-compilation steps other
than the cd.  I do:

	# this make will fail since I don't have the entire kernel source
	# but it will build v4l/.config
	make

	# change v4l/.config to suppress the DVB_FIREDTV module
	# so make can work
	mv v4l/.config v4l/.config.ORIG
	sed -e '/^CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=m$/s//CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=n/' v4l/.config.ORIG >v4l/.config

	# check that the sed worked
	diff v4l/.config.ORIG v4l/.config # to see that the sed worked
	# expected output (line numbers may differ):
	# 235c235
	# < CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=m
	# ---
	# > CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=n

Then I continue with the "Compile and add the module to the kernel":

	make  # this time it will succeed since the offending module is
suppressedw
	sudo make install
Then I reboot.