[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Jun 7 02:52:44 UTC 2010

> 2.) Get the remote working. I've tried the tutorial linked to at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600 and the other tutorials
> in the thread. But, I can either not understand them, they do not seem
> to work in Mythbuntu, or are not intended for 10.04.

Like you, I couldn't get lirc working with the HVR-1600 IR receiver.
What worked for me was to use the ir-kbd-i2c module, which provides
in-kernel keyboard emulation for several IR receivers and remotes.

I used information found here to get it working:
http://rtr.ca/hvr1600/

A couple of things:

- That link has talk about a patch that you don't need with 10.04.

- I modified the modprobe statements in enable_hauppauge_remote.sh to
include the option: hauppauge=1, because the remote that came with my
card was grey, not black. Execute the command:
modinfo ir-kbd-i2c
for more info on this option and others supported by the module.

- I modified hauppauge_remote.conf to suit my preferences.

- Using this approach isn't the way to go if you want to use the IR
blaster that comes with the card. For that, you'll need to use the
lirc_zilog module maintained by Jarod Wilson.

HTH,
Helen