[mythtv-users] directv.pl recently stopped working

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Sun Jun 6 02:33:51 UTC 2010

On 5/31/2010 9:26 PM, Brent Norris wrote:
> I really have no idea why it would have but it did.  Whenever I send a
> command I get this following:
>
> [root at Diablo bin]# /usr/local/bin/directv.pl port /dev/ttyUSB0 box_type
> RCA_OLD verbose setup_channel 250
> SEND: 0xFA [ú] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> SEND: 0xFA [ú] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> SEND: 0xFA [ú] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> SEND: 0xFA [ú] 0x2 []
> RECV: Timeout Error
>

> Error excessive retries
>

> What is really interesting is that if I turn the receiver off, sending a
> change will power it on, but it never changes the channel. If I send on
> or off to the box that seems to work, so I think it is at least getting
> part of the command, but something has went haywire on it. I am using a
> usb->serial adapter, but I have been using it for a least a couple years
> now, and I tried it with another exact same model that I had and it
> still failed.
>
> The adapter has a orange LED on it that illuminates, after I run the
> script and I have never seen that before. Any one have any insight into
> anything else I can try or look at that might help me figure out what
> has happened?

To reply to myself, I ended up fixing this by simply hitting the down
button on the receiver and then everything started working.  Something
that multiple power off and power on, unplugging and replugging could
not fix was fixed by simply telling the receiver to change the channel
from the buttons.  After that it has been flawless again.

Brent