[mythtv-users] running 2 separate FE/BE systems

John Williamson tyringham at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 16:16:59 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 10:04 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 6/5/2010 08:39, John Williamson wrote:
> > I have a FE/BE Myth system based around ubuntu 10.04 which is running
> > quite happily and I decided that I would like to have a basic myth
> > functionality on my laptop. So I have a hauppauge dual tuner and have
> > setup a second myth system with the master set to localhost. However as
> > soon as the laptop connected to my network wirelessly, my main system
> > suddenly became a slave to the laptop as master which was annoying as
> > all I intended to do was watch the odd program on the laptop when we
> > were away. As soon as it disconnected from the network everything
> > reverted.
> >

> When you set up a backend, you store two settings in the database, the
> local backend IP, and the master backend IP.  When the backend starts
> (and only that one time when the backend starts), it will lookup its own
> hostname, query the IP listed for that hostname, and then query the
> master IP.  If those two match, it will act as the master on that MythTV
> system.  The ONLY way that connecting your laptop to the network could
> make your laptop the master is if you had some script that changed that
> master backend IP in the database, and then restarted the first backend.

        There are no other scripts other than those that are part of the
        myth system operating on the myth database. Mysql is not used
        for anything else. The Master IP in the laptop is set to
        127.0.0.1 which I suppose every machine will have set to itself
        in the hosts file. Could that cause a problem. I cannot see
        anything in my setup otherwise that would change the master IP
        as I have tried to keep it reasonably standard.

        I did try and setup another machine as a proper slave to give
        more storage and the same thing happened, so on that machine I
        have only a myth frontend and an extra drive exported as an nfs
        share that is mounted on the mythbackend but deliberately have
        only one backend. Clearly there is something odd about the
        Master backend that makes it want to be a slave to everyone. I
        have just rechecked it all and Local IP and Master IP are set to
        be the same on the Master backend. I did set the master up as a
        standard Ubuntu box and then add Myth to it as Mythbuntu was a
        complete disaster, but the IPs were setup as static IPs.