[mythtv-users] installing MythTV 0.23 as non-root - almost

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 03:57:07 UTC 2010

Hi

On 4 June 2010 12:21, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes but who do you install it as? In fact there isn't usually a reson
> to build as root, it's not particularly safe :)

I only ever install as non-root too...
I would typically do something like
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/mythtv-trunk
sudo chown avenardj /usr/local/mythtv-trunk

to create the directory.
Then
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv-trunk
make -j4
make install

That's it.
the application are installed as non-root (avenardj) ..

I never saw an error with the bindings..

> In any case I don't think the OP is strictly referring to compiling,
neither was I.

> Is there an option to exclude installing (or building) the perl/python
> bits? I don't know what that might break.
you don't have to compile the bindings... it's an option of configure