[mythtv-users] installing MythTV 0.23 as non-root - almost

agraham agraham at g-b.net
Fri Jun 4 03:31:01 UTC 2010

On 04/06/10 03:21, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard<jyavenard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 4 June 2010 11:29, agraham<agraham at g-b.net>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I like to install the entire MythTV build as a standard user (e.g. mtv),
>>> therefore when building I use something like:
>>>

>>> ./configure --prefix=/home/mtv
>>>

>>> With the new 0.23 version, I get a permission denied error when doing the
>>> "make install" (everything builds fine)
>>>
>>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>> ERROR: Can't create '/usr/local/share/perl5'
>>> mkdir /usr/local/share/perl5: Permission denied at
>>> /usr/share/perl5/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 483
>>
>> I've only ever compiled mythtv as non-root, installing it in its own
>> directory; yet, I've never seen this issue before, not even with the
>> python or perl bindings..
>
> Yes but who do you install it as? In fact there isn't usually a reson
> to build as root, it's not particularly safe :)
>
> In any case I don't think the OP is strictly referring to compiling,
> strictly speaking he is installing.  If make install wants to put
> something in '/usr/local/share/perl5' it might fail, either because
> that directory might not exist (and $USER does not have permission to
> mkdir in /usr/local/share/ ) or because once it exists $USER won't
> have permission to write there.
>
> Is there an option to exclude installing (or building) the perl/python
> bits? I don't know what that might break.

It compiles and installs if I disable the perl bindings, but as you hint
this will most probably break something.

./configure --prefix=/home/mtv --without-bindings=perl

This looks like a bug to me as the pythin bindings get installed
correctly (within the /home/mtv file-space) and previous versions of
MythTV did not have this problem.

Does anyone else see this problem?

Albert.