[mythtv-users] Massive HDD activity at show starts

Jason Ward jasonfward at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 11:32:14 UTC 2010

On 3 June 2010 10:17, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing something in 23-fixes that didn't happen with 22-fixes and
> seems to be worse when wathing HD channels:
> if watching LiveTV, when one shows ends and the next one starts, there is
> so much (audible) HDD activity (i.e. probably seek operations), that a lot
> of frames are dropped (from current LiveTV as well as recordings that happen
> at the same time). Sometimes up to one or two seconds are missing. In the
> worst case the FE is so much off the track, that I have constant audio
> pauses until I restart LiveTV.
>
> This is a combined BE/FE with XFS for recordings and ext3 for anything
> else.
>
> I'm wondering:
> - What is causing this much activity? There should be just 2 or 3 DB
> INSERTs beside the regular recording activities, right?
> - Why is this happening now?
> - How can fix this, or at least track the cause further down?
>
> Jan.
>
> I don't watch live TV, but I had noticed a huge increase in load on my
machine when I upgraded from 0.23 shipped with mythbuntu to the lastest
fixes, when new recordings start, previously  I was seeing loads at all
times on my machine like

This machine's load average:

   - 1 Minute: 1.62
   - 5 Minutes: 0.92
   - 15 Minutes: 0.67

But now when recording starts, the one and five minute loads shoot up to 3
or 4

However, I have no reference point for what the numbers mean, so have no
idea if I'm seeing a problem or not.

Jason