[mythtv-users] .23 Sound Issues............Please God shoot me now!!

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 04:14:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wednesday, June 2, 2010, Jim Hendry <hendryjh at gmail.com>
>> As far as I can tell the only way to control optical volume is with pulseaudio (or esd/arts). ALSA does not seem to have a mechanism for controlling master/pcm volume for S/PDIF.
>>
> Course there is.
>
> As mentioned in this thread and many times before. If using spdif  or
> digital audio, you can make myth control the volume by setting the
> mixer device to "software".

I had always believed (I think based on what i had read on this list)
that software control of digital streams was a Bad Thing because it
involved resampling the nice digital data that some well meaning
studio had crafted for your maximum viewing/listening pleasure.

The perceived wisdom seemed to be to leave it untouched and pass it
through to your amp, and deal with the volume there.

Am I wrong? Was I right once but something has changed?

oh, and is the 'software' mixer a myth thing or an alsa thing?

Is there anything special I need to do to enable it?