[mythtv-users] Prevent Recordings of "Live TV" from Splitting, Etc

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:09:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM, tosds9 at gmail.com <tosds9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ryan... My laptop does not have a capture card; I'm connecting the cable box
> to my laptop via FireWire. I'm assuming that the command you provided
> earlier won't work on a FireWire connection? If MythTV won't work for my
> situation, would something like VLC? Thanks!

"Capture card" is really just a simple way of saying, "hardware device
used for capturing video onto the computer which is sometimes but not
always shaped like a card".  See how "capture card" is simpler to
type?  ;-)

I don't know much about ieee-1394 (firewire) video capture.  A quick
google search showed me this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewire
That page is mostly concerned with capturing ieee-1394 video from a DV
camcorder.  Assuming all ieee-1394 video is created equal.  You should
be able to use the same technique to capture ieee-1394 video from your
cablebox/DVR.  Good luck.

-Ryan