[mythtv-users] FC12 Sound Issues - My Solution

Mike Smith easygreenus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 05:19:23 UTC 2010

I upgraded my Mythtv Frontend to FC12.  I needed to install Mythtv 0.22 to
match my backend since its still at FC10 and atrpms has dropped support
for FC10 ( I can't find Mythtv 0.23 at FC10 level ).

When I finished the upgrade, I had sound in other applications, but not
Mythtv.  I found many people reporting the same problem.  I must have
implemented about ten different suggestions.  No luck.

Finally, after trying a suggestion that mentioned typing in ALSA:FRONT for
source and Mixer, it still didn't give me sound from Mythtv.  So, I created
a new user on the frontend,  Copied the directory /home/mythtv/.mythtv
to the new user ( and nothing else ),  I could bring up Mythtv with sound
working.  I do not know if I still need the ALSA:FRONT, or not.  Afraid to
remove it.

There must be some configuration file in my old home directory that was
causing the problem.  Either the presence of the file caused a problem and
the new account does not have it.  Or,  some setting, that one the file
was reinitialized, fixed the problem.

I do know I have a .asoundrc in the old directory, and not in the new.  Have no
idea if this is why its now working.

Hope this helps someone else.