[mythtv-users] video formats

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Sat Jul 31 06:38:17 UTC 2010

> rip like this, I get a 6GB file (clumsy to move around the house) and the
> forward / backward arrows just crash the internal video player.

I have been doing some testing with this, and what I have had good
results with is this:

   1.) Rip the movie (not menus or such) using mplayer's "dumpstream"
option (which I got from another thread)
   2.) Use HandBrake CLI to convert the video to MKV, using it's default
"High Quality" setting.  This results in a file of about 1.6GB.  The
quality is almost undiscernable from the source rip.

-Alan