[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Fri Jul 30 15:07:28 UTC 2010

Tyler T wrote:
>> Long story short:  The 6150, in every incarnation, only has a single
>> DAC and thus analog output channel.  If her motherboard does not have
>> a DVI out for a second output the she is SOL without placing in a
>> graphics with two appropriate outputs.
>>

> I found a pic of the mobo that shows only solder pads where the DVI
> connector would go. Seems HP saved 15¢ and destroyed any chance of
> dual-output on this PC.
>
> I agree on adding an external card, however, I'm not sure I agree with
> the suggestion for an 8400: I would only use the 8400 if PCI was the
> only choice. My 8400 runs quite hot which requires noisy fan cooling;
> I suspect one of the newer Nvidia offerings in PCIe would work withal
> less heat.
I use a Asus EN8400GS Silent ( no fan ) with a power supply that has
thermal control on the second fan.
The only way the second fan will come on is if I blow extra heat into
the case ( for a test ).

IMHO YMMV shared memory is a nasty performance hit.
I have added video cards to several systems and the users have often
said it was like
getting a new box.