[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:46:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Jessica Perry Hekman
<jphekman at arborius.net> wrote:
<snip>
> Actually, I am curious: do many of you run Myth on your main
> workstations, or do you mostly find that a separate setup makes sense?
> In other words, am I likely to invest time & money in a new graphics
> card, only to find that I am annoyed at running Myth on my main
> machine? It is not a particularly powerful machine (AMD Athlon 64 X2
> Dual-Core Processor, 2GHz, 512KB + 512KB L2 Cache, 1024 MB memory).
>
> Jessica

I run MythFrontend on my main workstation. It is a HP Slimline similar
to yours. I recently upgraded it to 4GB of RAM because I am running
WinXP + Oracle in a VM for school. Prior to the RAM upgrade it had 2GB
and I found it perfectly adequate. I have my system setup as two X
screens. Screen 0 is my main desktop and screen 1 is my myth screen. I
rarely use the machine as a standard PC while I am actively using
Myth, but when I do there is no noticeable impact from the FE. This
machine does no transcoding or comm flagging and uses VDPAU for video.
Due to this, MythFrontend takes very little processing power and
memory. If you wanted to run your MythBackend on this machine as well,
the backend functions (MySQL for disk I/O and comm flagging for CPU)
may have a more noticeable impact on performance. If you have a
separate backend then just the frontend function should have very
little impact on performance.

Cheers,
James