[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Jul 30 05:31:14 UTC 2010

 > It appears to be an ASUS M2NC51-AR motherboard and the video card is
 > "integrated," which I assume must mean it is on the motherboard. (The
 > machine is an HP slimline 3020n.) I'm having trouble finding detailed
 > specs for this motherboard with any information about how I can expect
 > tv-out to work, though.
 >
 > As I mentioned in a previous post, there does not seem to be a DVI
 > connector on the graphics card, so the option of switching my monitor to
 > that doesn't seem to be available. :(
 >
 > I guess I am suspecting that what you are warning about is in fact the
 > case, but I probably should make some effort to try to get it working
 > just in case it actually will support out to TV + monitor simultaneously
 > -- since my other option is buying a new computer, right? I am dreading
 > the xorg.conf hacking, though, so if anyone has insights about the ASUS
 > M2NC51-AR motherboard, they would be welcomed.

You might still be able to get TV-out and Monitor to work with this
computer. It should have a free PCI x16 slot available, which should
allow you to plug in a discrete graphics card. You'll have to be careful
when shopping for one, because it will have to be a low profile card to
fit in a slimline computer.

I believe there's a PCI modem card in the machine that might interfere
with a low profile graphics card. Quite often low profile cards take up
the space of two slots, especially when you want to use both VGA and
TV-out. Do you use the computer's modem? If not, if I were you, I'd plan
on removing it so I could install a low profile double width PCI x16 card.

Ideally, you'd want a graphics card with a GT 220 GPU. However, you
might not be able to find one that supports analog TV-out (composite,
S-video, component). In that case, a card with an 8400 GS GPU and 512 MB
should meet your needs. These cards cost around $40-50 at newegg.com, a
lot less than a new computer <vbg>.

Do your research. For example:

Read the specs and manuals on HP's web site for your computer,
especially for details on installing a graphics card. Take a good look
at your computer, open it up, and see what it looks like inside.

When shopping for a card, pay close attention to the shape of low
profile brackets and the width of GPU coolers. If a card specifies it's
PCI x16 2.0 or 2.1, make sure it's backwards compatible with PCI x16, or
make sure your computer supports 2.0 or 2.1. .I'm not sure if the 2.0 &
2.1 specs require backwards compatibility, for both cards and
motherboards. I'm sure someone here knows.

HTH,
Helen