[mythtv-users] recording ziggo digital tv (Netherlands)

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 29 18:04:16 UTC 2010

Bert Haverkamp schreef:
> Hello Chris,
>
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Chris Rouch <chris.rouch at gmail.com
> <mailto:chris.rouch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I currently have analog cable, but I'd like to change to digital. My
>     cable company (ziggo) uses CI+ - a slot for this is built into my TV.
>     Previously they used CI, and it was possible to buy PC cards which
>     could decode this and thus could be used by mythtv. It's not clear to
>     me if these cards still work or if they are now blocked. Using
>     satellite instead is not an option in my apartment, unfortunately.
>
>     So my questions are:
>
>     Is anyone using mythtv to record ziggo digital; if so, what hardware
>     do you use, and do you expect it to keep working in the future?

I am currently experimenting with the Anysee USB DVB-C receiver but so
far I am only able to receive the unencrypted channels (WK on Nederland
1 in HD was great though apart from the fact we lost at the end haha)
The smartcard reader is not (yet) supported.

Maybe Anysee can create a driver (or even a binary blob) to get the
decoder and smartcard part running on Linux too.

You can still connect an SD Ziggo decoder to the famous Hauppauge series
cards like the PVR150 or PVR500 but you will be stuck to SD and less
quality than by storing the digital stream directly. There is an
Hauppauge HDPVR which accepts YUV signals which can be connected to a HD
decoder from Ziggo , this way you can enjoy quite good quality HD
recordings. Both solutions will require an IR blaster to set the right
channel on your decoder from Mythtv.

Gert