[mythtv-users] Where to buy CommandIR ?

William Powers wepprop at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:50:16 UTC 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Ben Eisemann <ben at locojeeper.com> wrote:

> Okay... thanks.
>
> I'll give it another shot this weekend.
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
> God Bless,
>
> Ben T. Eisemann

I just recently spent considerable time trying to do the same thing
you are doing without success but the problem is NOT the IguanaIR. It
works great.

The problem is that the IR receivers are so sensitive that even the
slightest reflection off of not-so-nearby objects is sufficient to
activate any nearby STB using the same code set. This, combined with
the fact that those sensitive IR receivers can be completely saturated
by emitters placed directly on them, leads to bizarre effects such
emitters activating nearby boxes but not the boxes they are attached
to. Etc.

If the STB's can be set to different code sets, then you can easily
control all of them with a single emitter placed a reasonable distance
away. Or, if your STB's have jacks for remote IR receivers you can
workup something foolproof using optoisolators. Or, some types of
STB's have an alternate, direct method of channel changing such as a
serial or FireWire port.

Otherwise, you could try attenuating the signal reaching the STB's IR
receivers with something like multiple layers of white copy paper. If
you come up with something that works extremely well, do pass it on!