[mythtv-users] S-video/nvidia problems

Jessica Perry Hekman jphekman at arborius.net
Wed Jul 28 18:19:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:34:21AM -0700, Clay wrote:

> Once the TV was up did you plug the LCD back in? It's ok to hot swap
> monitors...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I did try plugging the LCD back in, actually, but the monitor insisted
that it had no signal when I did. So far as I can tell, my video card
really wants to output to one or the other. I can't figure out how to
tell it to output to both.

> Now that you have both working, run sudo nvidia-settings and
> configure the layout you want. TV will probably be screen0 so switch
> them around so LCD is screen0 and TV is screen1. I'd use dual
> xscreens but if you want to try TwinView, go for it.

When I run nvidia-settings (after rebooting with the LCD plugged in so I
have a decent monitor to use!), I see two displays in the layout: my LCD
(HP L1906) and TV-0. TV-0 is labelled "disabled." I configure TV-0 so
that it is enabled, save to xorg.conf (with a backup made first!) and
restart X (with the TV turned on). When X comes back up and I run
nvidia-settings again, TV-0 has been turned to "disabled" again.

I am flummoxed as to why TV-0 gets disabled. I recognize that it may be
time to tweak xorg.conf directly, but have no idea where to start with
that -- any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Jessica