[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 28 01:01:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>> There are a large number of SSDs that perform very well - you just
>>> need to do a bit of homework to make sure you get a good one.  OCZ
>>> Vertex/Agility drives (have 2 Vertexes myself they are FAST) for
>>> example are also very good.
>>
>> I have both an OCZ Vertex and an Intel X25-M, both fantastic SSD, very
>> speedy. The X25-M is in my MacBook Pro, the Vertex is in my primary
>> frontend. Helps keep the noise down to a minimum, and lately, I have a
>> tendency to shut it down when not in use (not much to watch during the
>> summer). The thing boots lightning-fast. I've been eying an X25-V or
>> another 30G Vertex for my other frontend, and possibly a WD Silicon
>> Edge Blue for my thinkpad (which used to have the X25-M in it, and it
>> misses having an SSD, but then again, I have umpteen source trees on
>> it these days, so I'd need a relatively huge (and expensive) SSD to be
>> practical).
>>
>> Anyway. Don't know that I'd bother with an SSD for my backend, but I'm
>> definitely a fan of a small one for frontend boxes. USB sticks are too
>> slow and unsightly for my taste.
>
> Avoid the SiliconEdge Blue, word is that it's fairly ordinary -

Hm. I'd heard otherwise. One of our fs/block layer guys said it was
actually pretty solid. Not quite as good performance-wise as the
X25-M, but pretty close to on par with the Vertex. The other
interesting drive (iirc) is the Crucial C300. Someone in the office
has the 256G variant of that...

> basically the same drive as the Kingston V Series, pretty poor random
> read performance. There are rumours that we'll see an 80GB X25-V
> around the end of the year, so it might be worth keeping an ear open.

Eh. For me, 80G is still in the not-quite-big-enough to be really
useful for a heavy usage system, and oversized for things like my
mythfrontends. (I've had to make some sacrifices on what I've put on
the X25-M in my MBP, would really rather have a 160G or larger SSD,
but they were prohibitively expensive when I got the 80G).

> If your laptop needs more storage than SSD's can affordably offer,
> have a look at the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drives. Not as fast as a
> proper SSD, but it ought to speed up boot times a fair bit.

Saw at least one review that said the hybrid drive wasn't any faster
than a much cheaper 7200rpm 2.5" conventional Seagate drive. I did
consider one of those.

> I was considering going to an SSD in my frontends, but Lucid boots
> pretty damn quick anyway, so I didn't bother. I do use an X25-V in my
> desktop machine - it's a subtle difference, in that it makes the
> computer act like you expected it to in the first place, but Firefox
> opening instantly is a particularly nice feature.

My solution for that last one is to simply not use Firefox. :)

I *would* love to get a mac mini server, replace the two disks in it
with a pair of X25-E drives and use that as a workstation in the
office though...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com