[mythtv-users] Opinions on Solid State Drives for Myth ???

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Jul 27 17:11:22 UTC 2010

On 27/07/2010 17:51, Joseph Fry wrote:

>     I'm seeing 40GB SSDs for around $100.
>
>     40GB is enough for an OS and Myth itself (not video storage).
>
>     So far I can't see anything that would justify using an SSD, but
>     perhaps someone else can.
>
> I doubt you'll find a good justification, mythtv simply won't see
> much, if any, benefit running on an SSD.  There are other, cheaper,
> ways to achieve all of the advantages that an SSD might offer.  Namely
> silent operation and low power use/heat generation.  So, sorry, can't
> give you an excuse to buy one.

I'd have thought just buying a cheap USB stick and using that would be
just as good as using as SSD and much cheaper....

I run the Mythbuntu liveCD from a USB stick to turn my work laptop into
a secondard frontend and it boots in <30s to the desktop, then I just
have to run the frontend.

If it "wears out" the USB stick, I'll just get another one, it was only £10.

Robert.