[mythtv-users] Alternative to Mac Mini?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Jul 25 15:35:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> In another thread it was suggested that the Mac Mini was overpriced as a
> Myth frontend/backend. I want something with a similar footprint.

Its overpriced for a frontend-only system. Less so for a combined
backend/frontend, with your listed requirements.

> The atom/ion2 boxes won't do. As a backend I need firewire to get input from
> a cablebox and the boxes I've seen don't have it. I also want enough cpu to
> do efficient commercial marking, and the atom's are too slow.
> Is there really a box with similar size to a Mac Mini that is at least a
> core2/nivida and cheaper (or more powerful).

I don't know that anyone ever said there was such a thing, most of us
were thinking of the frontend-only case (at least, I know I was). The
closest you might come is a shuttle cube custom build, but I'm pretty
sure that's going to get close to the same price as a mac mini rather
quickly, and be larger and louder. The closest things off-the-shelf I
know of are both from Dell, in the Dell Studio Hybrid and their little
Inspiron Zino HD, but those have Intel and ATI graphics respectively.

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com