[mythtv-users] mplayer digital vs. mythtv digital

Michael R. Hines michael at hinespot.net
Sat Jul 24 14:59:35 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to determine why mythtv's digital live TV capture has
different output than mplayer's live TV capture.

So, I did the following:

bash$ scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB | tee
.mplayer/channels.conf # found several channels, great
bash$ mplayer dvb://NJN-1    # this is my local PBS station

The output of mplayer is fantastic. Nice signal. Smooth audio/video
playback.

But when I play it back in mythtv, it's choppy with lots of beeping
noises in the audio. The output on my external TV tuner is also very
good, but for some reason, myth just isn't playing it back as "nicely"
as mplayer.

Any reason for this? How could I track this problem down?

Thanks!

- Michael R. Hines